If the interior pulp of your tooth becomes infected, your dentist will perform a root canal procedure in order to clean out the infected area and save the tooth.
What are the signs and symptoms for possible root canal therapy?
- An abscess on the gums
- Sensitivity to hot and cold
- Severe toothache pain
- Sometimes no symptoms are present
- Swelling and/or tenderness
What are the reasons for root canals?
- Decay has reached the tooth pulp (the living tissue inside the tooth)
- Infection or abscess have developed inside the tooth or at the root tip
- Injury or trauma to the tooth